Saturday, August 16, 2014

Ugly Cabinet Fix!

I'm so excited to share with you my bright idea this month!


I have this really awful cabinet in the back of the room that I don't really need.  I can and do use it for storage, but I have begged since I moved into this room for it to be moved out, I WANT THAT CORNER SPACE!  Well.. turns out that when they redid the flooring and baseboards in the room, instead of moving the cabinet, they just placed the baseboard around it and have just waxed it into the floor for years... just.my.luck

So, since I'm stuck with this eye sore instead of being able to get rid of it, I decided to make it efficient for both myself and my students.  I have placed some storage inside but this little idea is going to make our writing center so much more exciting this year!

Dun, dun, dun...


So this stuff worked great!  No paint fumes, and just one coat covered the whole cabinet.  I picked it up at walmart for under $20 and it didn't even use a 1/4 of the can.  I purchased some chalk from the dollar store for my students to be able to practice writing their names, letters and sentences over the next year!  I can't wait to add this as a novelty in the room to keep students interested and working towards becoming writers!  


I haven't quite figured out all of the logistics about keeping it clean, but I'm thinking of a sponge in a baby wipe box so it will stay damp, and it will be apart of the board erasers job to clean it before we leave each day!

If you enjoyed this post, you can find out more about me on facebook, TpT or instagram!  


For more bright ideas more than 100 different bloggers, please browse through the link-up below and choose a topic/grade level that interests you. Thanks for visiting!




5 comments:

  1. I love chalkboard paint! I have a door covered in my house with it and it makes the perfect message board.
    ☮Monica
    The Schroeder Page

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not know you could paint on metal like that! Makes everything look consistent and I love that! Great idea!

    Jennifer from Simply Kinder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is actually a wooden cabinet. I wish it was metal because I could use it for a magnetic chalkboard!

      Delete
  3. I have nominated you for the Leibster Award. Go to the post below for details!
    http://kindergartenpond.blogspot.com/2014/10/liebster-award.html

    Mrs. Spriggs’ Kindergarten Pond

    ReplyDelete